Saturday, December 22, 2007

blinding flash of the obvious

I realize when I say this you might think: " yes, I've heard that before..."

Have you ever read an entire New Testament book in one sitting while tracing a theme ? I highly recommend reading Matthew while looking for an answer to this question:
Why did Jesus come to earth ?
I found 36 truths about the purpose of Christ on the earth. I am telling you the truth by the time I got to the crucifixion scene I felt like I was there standing on that hill watching it unfold. When I read the words that the veil to the holy of holies was ripped in two... I just about fell apart. There was something about the cumulative effect of seeing Jesus head toward Calvary all the way through the book that made me feel something I had never felt before about Jesus.
Another idea (which I may do next week) Trace the idea of " in Christ" through all of Paul's epistles.

By the way, I think it's worth it to write everything down as you go through. Just carve out time and make it happen.