Thursday, April 5, 2007

Enemy Mine

When I was in high school, I saw a bizarre sci fi movie called: "Enemy Mine." I think it was Louis Gossett Jr. and Dennis Quaid. I think they both needed to make some money and so agreed to do the movie before they read the script. Nonetheless, when I think about enemies, I think about I Kings 11. When you read through the story of Solomon in I Kings you come across these verses:

" Then the Lord raised up an adversary to Solomon... Hadad the Edomite..." ( v 14)

Later, in reference to another enemy the text says: " So he was an adversary to Israel all the days of Solomon..."

When I read these words, I was reminded of something. God can raise up enemies against us. He can do it for His purposes and what's more is these enemies can be there permanently.
It doesn't matter if you move, change churches, change jobs... or any other change. We will have people who oppose us. We will have adversaries. I like the story of the guy who was rescued after being stranded on a deserted island for several years. The rescuers noticed three buildings on the top of a hill. They asked the castaway about these buildings. He said: " the first one is my house, the second one is my church and the third one is where I used to go to church."
Even on a deserted island we find that we have enemies... even if it's our own flesh.
So, do you have someone who is an enemy ? It may be from the Lord and it may be that this person will not go away.
What can you do ? What did Jesus say about our enemies ? I seem to remember things like this: pray for, speak well of, love, forgive...etc.
Can you do this ?