Monday, April 9, 2007

Bold as a lion

From the vault: ( reprinted )
This came from a "midnight rambling" but is reprinted here in this blog.



I find that a certified organic fuji apple in the morning gets rid of morning breath and the beginnings of a sore throat. It ‘s like medicine without the killing of all my cells thing.
I really like the view of the stars from out in the country. They were so bright and brilliant without the light pollution from the city lights. It’s really more than can be expressed in words. I get home last night and get to bed about 12:30am and then wake up at 5:24 am. Why ? Again, I am at a loss for words.

What’s happening to me at 35 is this : the list of things that I find meaningful is getting shorter and the list of things that no longer thrill me is getting longer. However, the short list of meaningful things is truly meaningful. I have entered into a season of life where my study of God’s word has been especially sweet lately. I’m thankful for it and I know we all have seasons of drought where the word is difficult to read, the schedule is tight and the motivation is low. This is what I am currently doing: I read Leviticus, then I Samuel, then a Psalm, then something from the gospels ( Matthew). I don’t always make it through that pattern, especially if I find something interesting along the way.
Here is what I found the other day. I Samuel 17

Israel has set up a camp in a valley. Across this valley is another army… you might remember these guys: the Philistines. The text says a champion named Goliath came out every day to “taunt” the Israelites. He issued them a challenge that if anyone from Israel could fight and kill him, then the Philistines would become their slaves. No problem, right ? Apparently, he did this for 40 days. Nobody from Israel accepted the challenge and basically, they just stood in fear of this beastly man.
So, the Israelites call out for Papa Johns while they are waiting and Jesse sends David to bring the food. Something changes when David hears the challenge…

I like what the text says: “ and he ( Goliath) spoke the same words; and David heard them.”

Don’t skip that part too soon. This time, David heard those words. This scene gets to me. All these guys let this big jerk make fun of the army of God for 40 days without doing any thing. Suddenly, God puts David in a position to hear this challenge and it means something different to him. It means, “let’s get it on.”

Let’s stop and ask ourselves a question at this point: Is your relationship with God such that you have the boldness to say these words to a non Christian ?

“ You come to me with a sword and a spear, but I come to you in the name of the Lord…This day the Lord will deliver you up into my hands, and I will strike you down and remove your head from you. “

Furthermore, this will all happen so that everyone will know that the Lord does not deliver by sword or spear; for the battle is the Lord’s and He will give you into our hands.


I’m stunned by this picture of boldness. We are too apologetic about the gospel to the lost world. David is found running straight at the enemy with a sling shot because He knows something about God. He is so confident that God can deliver him that he steps up to this challenge. I am so inspired by this confidence and it makes me want to live this way. I don’t mean recklessly, but righteously. The other men in Israel’s army were consumed with their own self protection. David was consumed with God. How did he get this way ? Where does that type of boldness come from ?

Let’s look at some of the statements made about David in the book of I Samuel:

after Samuel anointed David, the text says this : “ the Spirit of the Lord came upon him mightily from that day forward.”


2. a skillful musician, a mighty man of valor, a warrior, one prudent in speech


3.the Lord is with him

4. “David behaved himself more wisely than all the servants of Saul… so his name was highly esteemed.”

I am becoming convinced of something: “ the righteous are as bold as a lion.” Prov 28


If my confidence is low, it might be connected to my disobedience and guilty conscience. Sin is a major distraction from following God with this kind of courage. It’s a time waster and is used by satan to take us off the course of carrying out God’s plan in the world. So, put it down, throw it away, erase it, break it, walk away from it, don’t go in there, don’t pick it up, don’t listen to it, don’t stare at it, don’t get any more, don’t click on it, don’t ask her, don’t call him, don’t IM her, don’t say it, don’t keep thinking about it, don’t nurse the grudge, don’t keep bringing it up, don’t sow it, don’t plug it in, don’t get it down, don’t look for it, don’t grieve the Holy Spirit and don’t think that it doesn’t matter.

Don’t believe the lie that your sin only affects you. An army of your peers might be waiting for you to arrive, hear the challenge of the enemy and represent God in battle.

Are you up to it ?