Tuesday, March 11, 2008

burned at the stake


I was thinking about evangelism recently with regard to speaking and living. Some will say: " I witness with my life." I understand what they mean, but were the Christian people from church history martyred just because they led respectable lives ? I think they were burned at the stake for the things they said. They weren't killed just because they lived "clean " lives. They were opposed because they were saying things like: " Jesus is the only way to heaven..." and people should read the Bible in English.

It's true that our life makes our words believable, but if we don't ever say anything, and we are never controversial then who will persecute us ? I'm thinking of verses that say those who desire to live godly in Christ will suffer persecution. I am not advocating that anyone become obnoxious on purpose, but I am wondering if I am saying anything to anyone that will cause them to think. I was talking to someone in the gym a few days ago about "right and wrong." They believed that a majority of people determine what's right and wrong. I had an opportunity to question that assumption.

Galatians 5:11 " But I , brothers, if I still preach circumcision, why I am still persecuted ? Then the stumbling block of the cross has been abolished." In other words, if I just said what everyone wanted to hear... then I would have no opposition. The word of the cross is a stumbling block to many in our culture. Do you ever bring up things with non Christians that would sound offensive to their American ears ?