Wednesday, March 19, 2008

books and books about the book

If you've seen my library you know I like books. I have multiple shelves full and then several of the scattered abroad in my office. Lately, however, I have found it refreshing to focus on the word of God exclusively. I do enjoy other books and I am not throwing them away; however, I want to turn to the Word first and grasp the meaning of life there first before I turn to other sources. ( I notice this happening with podcasts as well.... before the speaker gives his outline, I just turn it off and go and see if I can find the answers myself in the Bible first... then I go back and listen to the podcast) I just took the book of Luke and started reading looking specifically for phrases that help me understand why Jesus is the only way to know God. I was floored by the first 2 chapters and just was overwhelmed by what I found there. Don' t assume that you know a passage. The Bible is unique in the sense that you can't find the bottom of it. It has a life of its own and God's word is so rich that it has the ability to keep feeding you year after year.

What do you do in the morning ? Do you find yourself checking blogs, email and bank accounts or do you open up the Bible to allow God to speak to you ? The unfolding of God's word gives light.