Monday, May 14, 2007

Sabbath or not ?

When I talk to people in the Christian world they say things like this:
All of the 10 commandments are repeated in the New Testament except the one about the sabbath. Does this have implications ?
What is the New Testament believer's attitude toward the sabbath day ?
I'm on a journey to get to the bottom of this issue.

Colossians 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food and drink or in respect to a festival or new moon or a Sabbath day --- 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

So, does this verse "nullify" the sabbath ? I understand it makes a reference to it as a shadow, but nullify ?
This is a burden for me because I have heard so many stories of people who "burned out" because they overworked. Is the sabbath a gift from God ?

Everyone says: "take a day off..." What does the sabbath have to do with that ?