Wednesday, June 4, 2008

best Bible advice

When I read " Living By the Book" ( Howard Hendricks) he talked about reading repeatedly. I think this is some of the best advice I have received on Bible study. We read too much and comprehend too little. Whenever we read repeatedly, we can saturate, soak, and immerse ourselves in the Word. Here's what happened one day while doing this:

I was reading in 2 Corinthians 7 ( for about the third day in a row) and I found this verse...

( verse 4)
"...I am overflowing with joy in all our affliction..." So Paul is in affliction (which can be translated pressure) and he says, " I am overflowing with joy." WHAT ? How can anyone overflow with joy in affliction ? I cry, pout, write blogs and complain when I am in affliction. However, I kept reading and noticed that in verse 6 he explains how he could overflow with joy in affliction... it says ( my translation): " God comforted us with the coming of Titus..."

Something clicked in my head... Paul was overflowing with joy in affliction because he had a friend. If you have a friend in ministry or in life you can have joy. If we all had one good friend, we probably would not need psychiatrists. Back in September of 2007, I prayed that God would send me a good friend here in El Paso. God answered that prayer. It is so good to have someone to bounce ideas off of and share in the pain and joy of life. Do you have one good friend ? If not, cry out to the Lord and see if He will answer your prayer.