Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Update

We have a backyard which has become a magnet for the neighborhood children. We will often have 5-10 kids back there jumping on the trampoline and using our new basketball court. I have made some attempts to share the gospel with some of the kids and have found that they are willing to talk and honest about their lives. I am hoping that the trampoline mat holds up because we have tested its limits on many occasion.
One of the outcomes of these kids in the backyard is the piles of trash ... cups, candy wrappers, etc. I asked Josh and Matthew to go clean it up a few days ago and Josh said: " Wait, Dad... that's your mission field..." Implication ... I was supposed to clean it up. I set him straight on that one. Actually... one of the encouraging things that happened to me ( from a dad's perspective) recently was a conversation I had with Adrian ( a neighborhood 5th grader). I was sharing the gospel with him and Josh was listening in to the conversation. Adrian's younger brother kept trying to distract us and Josh really wanted me to keep the conversation focused on the gospel. I was encouraged that Josh cared and was engaged as to what was happening.

So ... my encouragement to you is... share the gospel. Even if there are others around, take that step because you never know who might be listening and your courage might motivate others to share their faith.