Saturday, May 29, 2010

what we think about God

I once heard someone say that one of the most important things about you is what you think about God.

Today I realized something that I have been waiting for several months to understand. For some reason it just clicked today and it's related to 2 Samuel 7:18-19

" Then David the king went in and sat before the Lord, and he said, ' Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house that You have brought me this far ? 19. And yet this was insignficant in Your eyes, O Lord God, for You have spoken also of the house of Your servant concerning the distant future...'"

Most of us have time to think about the past, present and future and if we are not careful we can begin to say to ourselves: " Man, I'll never have it as good as I had it in ( fill in the blank). " We begin to compare our current situation to former situations and feel a certain way.

Today, for the first time in about 9 months, I realized that when I say those things I am basically saying that God has peaked in His ability to provide for me; which cannot be true and so I have to think biblical thoughts about the past and the future.

So, here it is again:

When we start to think: " I will never have life as good as I had it in _____________", we are essentially saying that God has peaked in His ability to provide for us. This idea is emphatically false and should therefore be rejected as unbiblical thinking.


Do you really believe that the grace God provided you in the past will be there for you in the future ?