Friday, November 13, 2009

hearing the voice of God

I recently listened to a message entitled: "Christianity and the danger of mysticism." It was a warning to believers about using language like : " God said to me..." or " God told me...."
So, if we are to heed this warning what do we do with passages in Scripture where the word of God says: " He told me..." " He said to me..." ?

1. Isaiah 30:21 And your ears will hear a word behind you, " This is the way, walk in it," whenever you turn to the right or to the left.


2. Acts 22:21 " And He said to me, 'Go ! For I will send you far away to the gentiles.'"


So it seems that people in the Bible heard God tell them to do things. Does God tell us to do things ? Yes, He obviously tells us things that are scripture verses. An example would be: " and this is the will of God that you __________________." We can say: " God said..." when we quote a Bible verse. Can we say: " God said," when we are talking about going into the teaching profession or starting a paint business ? How does God guide us ? Do we just consecrate ourselves to Him, reject unbiblical thinking, love our families and then.....do what we want ?