Friday, July 17, 2009

me myself and I

I was thinking of Philippians 2 recently which talks about looking out for the interests of others and not just your own. So, I looked up some scripture that has to do with selfishness...



What are the explosives we use to destroy the tendency to act in a self seeking way ?


Explosive # 1 IDEAS

( Biblical ideas)



Biblical idea # 1 Jesus’ harshest condemnations were toward the Pharisees for being self indulgent.

“they clean the outside of the cup, but inside they are full of robbery and self indulgence..”

Do I want to align myself with the people Jesus often condemned for being self centered ?



Biblical idea # 2 God will “bring to an end” those who exalt themselves

Jeremiah 48:29-35 Moab was “self exalting”
V 35 “ I will make an end of Moab.”

Point: when you are selfish, you put yourself in competition with God
( see also I Samuel 2:10 Those who contend with the Lord will be shattered )

Even more: Nahum 1:9 “ Whatever you devise against the Lord, He will make a complete end of it. “

Self exalting people are in competition with God and He has said clearly in Isaiah 42:8, “ I will not share my glory with another.”






Biblical Idea # 3 Selfish people just make it worse on themselves

Isaiah 28:22 “ do not carry on as scoffers ( selfish people) or your fetters will be made stronger; For I have heard from the Lord God of Hosts of decisive destruction on all the earth.”



Biblical Idea # 4 the self ( the old self) is being corrupted

Ephesians 4:22 “ that in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit…”

Why get on a train headed for derailment ?