Thursday, May 21, 2009

mature

Colossians 1:28 says: “ We proclaim Him, admonishing every man and teaching everyone so that we may present every man complete in Christ….”

The word for complete is “telos” or “mature.”

The same thing shows up in Hebrews 5:14 : “ But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.”


I was talking to one of my friends in Birmingham and I asked him how he was doing spiritually and he said: “ how do you measure spiritual growth ? “ I thought this was a good question and when I thought about it, I went looking for answers in the Scriptures….here’s what I found:


A mature person is someone who exercises their gift in the church. ( Eph 4:13)
they are also equipped for service
they also equip others for service



2. I Corinthians 13 A mature person demonstrates love.

All of our giftings and knowledge without love amount to nothing.



3. A mature person works toward unity with other believers.
a. Philippians 2
b. I Corinthians 1;10
c. Amos 3:3


4. A mature person is a servant
a. Mark 10:45 “ For the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and give His life as a ransom for many. “

b.I Peter 4:11 ff


5. A mature person is mature in his thinking and an “infant” concerning evil.
a. I Cor. 14:20


6. A mature person is teachable. ( Colossians 1:28)


7. A mature person is able to discern good and evil even without a Bible verse. ( see also birth control, gambling, educational choices, etc…)
a. Hebrews 5:14




8. A wise man can receive correction. ( multiple proverbs)



9. A mature person brings forth vegetation. ( Hebrews 6)

- It makes sense to me that this would be related to Galatians 5 ( fruit of the Spirit)
- Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self control




10. A mature person is diligent ( not sluggish)

a. Hebrews 6:11-12



11. Mature people are people who give.

- Matthew 5:42 “ Give to him who asks you…”



12. Mature people love their enemies. ( Matthew 5:44)



13. Mature people pray for those who persecute them. ( Luke 6)