Thursday, April 16, 2009

off the grid

I feel like I have been off the grid for awhile...which isn't all bad. I have time to think now during my daily commute to work and I just wonder how many people we can have meaningful relationships with in the course of our life. I am thinking of a verse I can't place right now but I think it goes something like this: " a man of many friends will come to ruin...." I will have to get a concordance. I do believe that Luke 6:26 says: " Woe to you when all men speak well of you for this is how they treated the false prophets." In the course of a day with work, family, the word and prayer I don't see how it's realistic to maintain so many friendships. I don't mean this in an isolated way or to be rude... just confused by it. I have emailed people or called people who never wrote back and never called back. I don't think I'm angry because I see that there's a limit to one person's capacity. It could be that I'm the lazy one....

Anyway, I have experienced times of loneliness and know the desire for authentic community. I believe God wired us for relationships and to be encouraged by each other. I think my expectations are definitely unrealistic at times when it comes to what a Biblical friendship looks like. I just read the story of Jonathan and David and was impressed by their loyalty to each other. I think we all want something like this. What's interesting is that the harder you try for a friendship, the more it seems to elude you. However, if you relax and live before the Lord, the friendships seem to have their proper place.

I guess I wrote this blog after looking at facebook for 5 minutes. A word to facebook people: is this a tool for you or an idol ? I think it's fair to ask that question. I have to ask that question about other areas in my life too.