Monday, July 16, 2007

schedule

I have been thinking about our schedules lately. I realize that alot of people say they are "busy." Obviously, we have some level of responsibility and having a full schedule is not necessarily sin. However, do we control our schedule or does the schedule control us ?

I read this in " The Life you always wanted" by John Ortberg :


" The father of one of my friends has been involved in evangelical ministry for nearly fifty years. His dad recently told him ' Well, son, we'll have to get together soon, as soon as I can get my schedule under control.' His son's comment to me: " For all 39 years of my life my dad has talked about what we are going to do as soon as he gets his schedule under control. He actually seems to believe that someday his schedule will somehow come under control. What is worse, he refuses to talk about or even acknowledge to himself the real reason his schedule is out of control." ( page 114 )

After I read this, I just thought: " am I doing this to my kids ?" Pretty soon, I won't be able to throw them around anymore and I don't want to look back and regret the fact that we did not spend more time wrestling on the bed together.